Real Madrid slayers Ajax can claim Juventus scalp, says Siem de Jong
Former Ajax favourite Siem de Jong is confident the Eredivisie side can spring another massive surprise when they visit Juventus.
Ajax's stunning upset of Real Madrid is proof they can win at Juventus and reach the Champions League semi-finals, according to former skipper Siem de Jong. Erik ten Hag's team head to Turin with their quarter-final tie evenly poised following a 1-1 draw in Amsterdam last week. The position is better than the one they held after 90 minutes of the previous round, when the Eredivisie leaders sensationally overturned a 2-1 deficit against European champions Madrid. Hakim Ziyech, David Neres, Dusan Tadic and Lasse Schone all scored in a stunning 4-1 second-leg success in the Spanish capital, ending the holders' hopes of claiming a fourth straight crown.
Ajax can win in Turin
Six-cap Netherlands international De Jong, who captained Ajax to a Champions League win over Manchester City in 2012, believes the sparkling last-16 away showing can be replicated on Tuesday. "I think they showed against Real Madrid they can do it in the away leg as well," De Jong told Omnisport. "They can win in Turin and hopefully they will. Of course, Juventus are a team that defends really well. It will be tough, but I think it's doable. If they have a really good day, Juventus might have a lesser day. It will all have to fall into place, but it's a really nice stage for them to perform at and hopefully they'll get a result again."
De Jong, 30, spent seven seasons at Ajax before moving to the Premier League with Newcastle United in 2014. The attacking midfielder returned to his boyhood club three years later and is currently on loan at A-League outfit Sydney FC.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: Child Tax Credit extension to 2025, new payment in California, unemployment benefits...
- Stimulus Checks Second $600 Golden State stimulus check: when will I receive it and how to track
- US NEWS California stimulus check: when will the payments arrive and who qualifies?
- PSG Lionel Messi's PSG contract details revealed
- Soccer Pele in hospital: daughter says he's recovering well
- MLB MLB results: Los Angeles Dodgers beaten by Cincinnati Reds