Real Madrid: Courtois gets first chance under Zidane at Rayo
Having had to wait almost a month and a half for his opportunity, Thibaut Courtois was given his first chance to impress the Real Madrid coach at Rayo.
Thibaut Courtois was handed his first appearance of Zinedine Zidane's new Real Madrid era in Los Blancos' LaLiga visit to Rayo Vallecano on Sunday.
Courtois had sat out all seven of Zidane's previous games in charge
Courtois has had to wait almost a month and a half for his opening opportunity under Zidane, having missed five games through injury and a further two - against Celta Vigo and Getafe - because the re-appointed coach opted against picking him.
No goalkeeping debate next season, says Zidane
With Courtois currently vying for the gloves with Keylor Navas, the match at Vallecas is his first chance to win the confidence of Zidane, who has been asked on several occasions what his plans are for Madrid's goalkeeping position. The Frenchman has so far not offered any details, except to say that next season "there will be no debate - it will be very clear."
Navas, 33, was Zidane's first-choice keeper as Madrid won back-to-back-to-back Champions Leagues in 2016, 2017 and 2018, while Courtois, who cost 35m euros when he joined from Chelsea last summer and is six years younger than the Costa Rican, is viewed by the club's hierarchy as a sound long-term investment.
Rayo vs Real Madrid live on AS English
You can follow live-text coverage of Real Madrid's LaLiga clash with Rayo here.
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski hoping to break NFL record
- NFL Who plays Monday Night football tonight, Week 13? Games, times, TV
- SOCCER Kylian Mbappé disappointed Real Madrid move falls through
- SOCCER Zlatan Ibrahimovic wants to 'stay at Milan for life'
- REAL MADRID Benzema out for Inter clash but has one eye on Madrid derby