Bayern Munich: Dortmund take Bundesliga race to final day
Borussia Dortmund's 3-2 victory over Fortuna and Bayern's 0-0 draw away at Leipzig means that the Bundesliga will be decided in the final round of fixtures.
Bayern Munich failed to retain their Bundesliga title on Saturday with a game to spare as Niko Kovac’s side were held to a goalless draw by RB Leipzig in the Red Bull Arena.
Leon Goretzka thought he had put Bayern ahead in the 50th minute but his effort was ruled out for offside and Leipzig were able to frustrate the league leaders for the remainder of the game, carving out a few notable chances of their own.
Bayern simply had to match Borussia Dortmund’s result in the penultimate game of the season but Lucien Favre's side held on for a 3-2 victory against Fortuna Düsseldorf in the Westfalenstadion to take the title race down to the wire. Dortmund led 3-1 in stoppage time but faced a few nervy seconds after Dawid Kownacki made it 3-2 in the 95th minute.
Dortmund had led their arch-rivals Bayern for much of the season but slipped back into second a few weeks ago and have not been able to claw their way back to the summit after a run of two defeats and a draw in their last five before Saturday's fixtures.
Most damaging of those results was a 5-0 Klassiker thrashing at the hands of Bayern that swung the pendulum back towards the Bavarians, who have won the past six Bundesliga titles and who held a four-point advantage at the top of the table going into the game in Leipzig. That has now been reduced to two, handing Dortmund a glimmer of hope as they aim to win the championship for the first time since 2011-12.
Dortmund's run-in offers slim hope of catching Bayern
Favre conceded defeat in the title race after a 4-2 Revierderby defeat to Schalke, who are currently 15th. However, the reigning champions face fourth-placed Frankfurt at home on the final day while Dortmund travel to sixth-placed Borussia Mönchengladbach, where only victory will give them any chance of pipping Bayern to the post.
Recommended in English
- COVID-19 Covid Omicron variant live updates: symptoms, vaccines, travel ban, South African cases...
- COVID-19 Where has the new covid-19 Omicron variant been detected? What are the symptoms?
- BOXING How much money are Teofimo Lopez and George Kambosos making? How much does the winner get?
- Social Security When does COLA 2022 take effect in Social Security Benefits? How to calculate your amount
- NFL Buffalo Bills CB White out for rest of season with ACL tear
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES What are the abortion laws in America? In what states is it illegal to have an abortion?