James Rodríguez to leave Bayern Munich - reports
According to Sky Sports, the Colombia midfielder will not remain beyond his loan deal from Real madrid and his agent Jorge Mendes is looking for potential buyers.
The German Cup final could be James Rodríguez’s last game for Bayern Munich with reports in Germany stating that the Colombia midfielder, on loan from Real Madrid, will leave the Allianz Arena at the end of the current season.
Bayern face RB Leipzig in the final on 25 May and the Bundesliga champions then have until 15 June to activate a unilateral purchase option on the 27-year-old for a fee of 42 million euros. Bayern have complete control over the deal – they can either send James back to the Bernabéu or take a gamble on paying Real for the midfielder with a view to profiting from a subsequent sale – but according to Sky Sports the player has already instructed his agent, Jorge Mendes, to start seeking out a new club.
Sky also stated that Bayern are unlikely to exercise their option on James, which would leave Real Madrid carrying the can. The Liga club paid around 70 million euros to sign James from Monaco after a spectacular World Cup campaign for Colombia but will struggle to recoup that amount this summer after a disappointing season for the midfielder in Bavaria punctuated by reported bust-ups with Bayern coach Niko Kovac and sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic.
Real Madrid return for James unlikely with Zidane in charge
A return to Real Madrid on more than a fleeting basis is practically impossible while Zinedine Zidane remains in charge, the pair having had a tumultuous relationship at the Bernabéu, which resulted in the midfielder’s two-year loan at Bayern coming about in the first place.
Juventus are reportedly interested in James and he has been linked with Napoli and a reunion with Carlo Ancelotti but there have been no firm offers tabled yet. Bayern are set to make their decision on the midfielder after the cup final while Mendes pulls strings behind the scenes to try and find a willing suitor for his client, whose contract at Real Madrid still has two years to run.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness