Pizzi signs new deal with Benfica
Primeira Liga champions Benfica have secured the services of Portugal international Pizzi for another four years.
Luís Miguel Afonso Fernandes 'Pizzi' has signed a new contract with Benfica that will keep him at the club until 2023. The 29-year-old joined from Atletico de Madrid in 2013 but was immediately sent out on loan to LaLiga side Espanyol. He became an immediate fixture in Benfica's midfield from the start of the 2014-15 campaign, however, and has helped them to the Primeira Liga title in four of the past five seasons.
Pizzi, who is in Portugal's squad for the Nations League Finals next week, told the club's official website: "All my seasons here have been special. I feel a special connection with the fans and all the people at the club. I am very proud to be part of this club and to continue as part of the family."
He scored 13 goals last season as Benfica beat Sporting Clube de Portgual to the title by two points.
Recommended in English
- NFL Joe Burrow: Winning playoff games the standard to meet for the Bengals
- NFL What is Aaron Rodgers' record against the 49ers?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's big question: how to fit Erling Haaland and Kylian Mbappé into the same team
- US NEWS Which fast food restaurants accept EBT food stamps?
- 2022 TAX SEASON Are the tax brackets the same if I am retired?
- NFL Titans could activate RB Derrick Henry ahead of Bengals clash