2019 UEFA Super Cup confirmed: Liverpool vs Chelsea
Liverpool's victory in the Champions League final saw them set up a UEFA Super Cup clash with Europa League winners Chelsea in Istanbul.
Liverpool's victory over Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League final in Madrid not only saw the Reds add a sixth European Cup to their trophy cabinet, but also confirmed them as Chelsea's opponents in the 2019 UEFA Super Cup.
Salah, Origi goals earn Liverpool Champions League triumph
Jürgen Klopp's men ran out 2-0 winners in Saturday evening's all-Premier League clash at the Estadio Wanda Metropolitano after Mohamed Salah's second-minute penalty was followed by a late strike by substitute Divock Origi.
Liverpool and Chelsea to meet in Istanbul Super Cup
They will now take on the Europa League holders in European football's curtain-raiser at Vodafone Park in Istanbul on Wednesday 14 August, in what will be the first time the match has ever been contested by two clubs from England.
Chelsea in Super Cup after Baku thumping of Arsenal
In a final that was also an all-English affair, Chelsea beat Arsenal 4-1 in Baku on Wednesday to win Europe's second-tier competition.
The 44th edition of the Super Cup, which will kick off at 21:00 CEST (22:00 local time), will be Liverpool's sixth appearance in the fixture, and Chelsea's fourth.
Four Super Cup victories between two teams involved
The Merseysiders have lifted the trophy on three occasions - in 1977, 2001 and 2005 - while the West Londoners' sole Super Cup win came in 1998.
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Joshua: "No real strategy except for winning" against Usyk
- BOXING Anthony Joshua vs Oleksandr Osyk: date, tickets, venue
- WORLD NEWS How does Evergrande conglomerate put China's housing system in danger of collapse?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Klopp salutes Liverpool ace Minamino and reveals Firmino fitness update
- GOLF Five reasons why we all love the Ryder Cup
- NBA 15-year NBA veteran JJ Redick announces retirement