USMNT reach historic milestone with New Zeland-born player
Ankaragücü striker Tyler Boyd went down in history by scoring the 1,000th goal for the US National team in the 4-0 victory against Guyana.
The United States' Gold Cup opening match against Guyana will be remembered for more than just their first win of the 2019 edition. It was also the game in which the Stars and Stripes reached the historic 1,000-goal milestone.
Tyler Boyd, a New Zeland born player, was the one to put his name in the history books, scoring the second goal of the night in the 51st minute, which was assisted by captain Michael Bradley.
The 1,000th US goal was also Boyd's first goal for the senior team in an official competitions, on a night where the 24-year-old striker put in a shining performance and scored two goals in the 4-0 victory.
1⚽️⚽️ Peter Millar— U.S. Soccer MNT (@USMNT) June 19, 2019
2⚽️⚽️ Bruce Murray
3⚽️⚽️ Mark Chung
5⚽️⚽️ Josh Wolff
7⚽️⚽️ Michael Bradley
ICYMI, the 100s that went into 1000 #USMNT goals: https://t.co/rhXHiawmSY pic.twitter.com/WRsbd4bxrE
US 1,000th goal: Boyd celebration
Boyd went to hug his parents who traveled from New Zeland and were waiting for him in the stands after the game, giving the shirt in which he made history to his proud mother.
"Its a special moment for me; I had my family in the crowd, they traveled from New Zeland, after the game I gave my mom my shirt, a very special moment," said the striker.
Boyd also mentioned how special it was to score two goals in the Gold Cup opening match, as well as scoring the 1,000th US goal. "Scoring two goals and one being the thousand goal, what a special moment, what a good performance by the team," he said.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?