Deportivo place one foot back in Primera with Mallorca win
The Balearic side have it all to do in the Segunda División play-off final second leg following Thursday's 2-0 loss away at Riazor.
Deportivo La Coruna took control of the Segunda Division play-off final with a 2-0 first-leg win over Mallorca, who saw Marc Pedraza sent off for a shocking challenge on Alex Bergantinos.
The hosts were already a goal to the good at the Riazor when Pedraza slid in hard and left Bergantinos with cuts to his face.
Depor's captain had to be taken from the field on a stretcher and was taken to hospital for treatment, while Pedraza was shown a straight red card.
Depor take control through Cartabia and Quique
That dismissal arrived in the 41st minute, shortly after Depor had opened the scoring via Fede Cartabia's superb free-kick, whipped into the top-right corner from an acute angle.
And Quique added a potentially crucial second 11 minutes from time, hooking in Carlos Fernández's header back across goal.
The second leg takes place at Mallorca's Estadi de Son Moix on Sunday as Depor seek an immediate return to LaLiga, having suffered relegation from the top fight in 2017-18.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS Team USA vs Spain 2021 Tokyo Olympics live updates: score, stats, highlights
- OLYMPIC GAMES How does sport climbing work at the Olympics? Rules, format and score system
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze