Real Madrid to launch women’s football team: official
The Spanish club approved the move at a board meeting with the plan to take over existing club CD Tacón in 2020 and play in the new Spanish women's league.
A Real Madrid women’s football team, Real Madrid Femenino, is now a reality. The Spanish club made an official announcement confirming the news after an extraordinary board meeting at the Bernabéu. Subject to the agreement of club members, who will vote on the proposal in September, Real Madrid will take over the recently promoted CD Tacón and start playing under their own name in the 2020-2021 season.
Real Madrid had wanted women's side for next season
Real Madrid had been keen to enter women’s football in 2019-2020, however they were unable to meet the various deadlines to register a team set out by the Spanish Football Federation. The club have therefore reached an interim agreement with CD Tacón, with the existing women’s side being assisted by Real Madrid in a new women's league being set up by the Federation. CD Tacón will also train and play at Real Madrid’s facilities at Valdebebas in the 2019/2020 season.
Taking CD Tacón’s place in the league will cost Real Madrid some €400,000 up front. They will then need to fund the side, with a competitive team expected to cost around two million euros a year. Sources at Real Madrid say they expect sponsorship to cover the cost of the team.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?