Brazil: Alisson calls for focus after shoot-out success
Brazil were worthy winners against Paraguay but cannot afford to rest on their laurels, according to shoot-out hero Alisson.
Star goalkeeper Alisson urged Brazil to quickly turn their attention to the Copa América semi-finals following a "deserved" victory over Paraguay on penalties in Porto Alegre.
Brazil squeezed into the final four with a 4-3 shoot-out triumph after failing to make their chances count during a goalless 90 minutes.
Liverpool's Alisson kept out the opening spot-kick from Gustavo Gómez and later watched as Derlis Gonzalez put his attempt the wrong side of the post.
Possible Argentina semi up next for Brazil
The host nation will face rivals Argentina in a blockbuster semi-final tie if Lionel Messi's men overcome Venezuela on Friday.
"My team-mates did their part, which was the most important part," Alisson said after the match.
"We were very confident. The team deserved to win today. The result was a draw, but only one team wanted to play.
O MOMENTO DA CLASSIFICAÇÃO!— CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol) June 28, 2019
Alisson defendeu o primeiro e Gabriel Jesus, com muita calma, garantiu a vitória. Seguimos!
(4) 0 x 0 (3) | #JogaBola #BRAxPAR #CopaAmérica
Foto: Lucas Figueiredo / CBF pic.twitter.com/iR14tAnjqj
"Now we have to keep working, because one step is done and we have another ahead to our achieve our main objective, which is to be champions."
Roberto Firmino's failure to convert in the shoot-out enabled fellow forward Gabriel Jesus to grab a share of the headlines with the winner, the Manchester City man making amends for his miss from the spot against Peru during the group stage.
"I was confident. I hit it my own way and managed to score," Jesus said.
"In the previous game I got upset because I did not hit it my way. I think it was a little anxiety.
"I live to play football, to score goals and in the moment the anxiety disturbed me. Today, I hit it my way, calm, cold.
"I saw the goalkeeper moving to the left and just chipped it the other side."
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Caeleb Dressel 100m swimming, medal count, results, today 29 July
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it
- US NEWS Disgraced USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar has received $2,000 in stimulus checks
- LA GALAXY ‘Chicharito’ Hernández to miss his sixth consecutive MLS game due to injury
- Olympic Games | Gymnastics How tall and what age are the USA gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Jade Carey, the US gymnast replacing Simone Biles at the Olympics?