Zlatan Ibrahimovic gets green light to play against LAFC
The LA Galaxy captain was awarded his fifth yellow card of the season, which could have seen him out of Friday's El Trafico, but the MLS said he's eligible to play.
LA Galaxy captain Zlatan Ibrahimovic picked up his fifth yellow card during the Cali Clasico, in which the Swedish lion's team lost 3-1 to the San Jose Earthquakes. With five cards Zlatan's presence for the game against Los Angeles FC was in doubt.
The MLS, however, have confirmed that Zlatan is eligible to take part in Friday's 'El Trafico' match, where Galaxy will face the league leaders. (For those unaware, the fans' name for the derby came about due to the congestion in the city when the two sides clash).
Ibrahimovic will not be suspended despite the cards accumulated because the LA striker has already had a suspension for a yellow card he picked up for his tangle with New York FC goalie, Sean Johnson, as reported by Kevin Baxter from the LA Times.
Here's the explanation from @MLS as to why @Ibra_official won't miss the @LAGalaxy's game with @LAFC after getting a yellow card Friday: His yellow card in the Sean Johnson incident doesn't count against his total since he was suspended by the MLS Disciplinary Committee for that— Kevin Baxter (@kbaxter11) July 13, 2019
For that incident, Zlatan was fined and suspended for two games due to 'violent conduct' by the MLS Disciplinary Committee.
The Swedish superstar is Galaxy's leading scorer this season, and sits in second place of the MLS scoring chart, with 13 goals.
Ibra actually made his MLS debut against LAFC scoring two goals in his team's fantastic comeback for a 4-3 victory on March 31, 2018.
Te recomendamos en English
- VALENCIA 2-0 BARCELONA Setién: "It's possible the players are not grasping certain things"
- VALLADOLID-REAL MADRID Vinicius and Brahim omitted from Madrid squad for Valladolid
- INTER MILAN Emergency at Inter! But Conte says media make it look like club buying up Real Madrid stars
- Football Barça prospect Marques to Juve, Pereira goes other way
- LaLiga Al Shabab sign Sevilla's Argentine playmaker Banega
- VALLADOLID-REAL MADRID Sergio Ramos set to reappear against Valladolid