Kluivert appointed as Barcelona's new director of youth football
Barcelona have put their former striker Patrick Kluivert in charge of their La Masia academy.
Patrick Kluivert has been appointed director of youth football at Barcelona on a two-year contract.
The role marks a return for the former Netherlands international to the club where he spent six seasons as a player.
Kluivert will be responsible for overseeing the famed La Masia academy, which produced Lionel Messi, Gerard Pique and Sergio Busquets.
"I am very happy to be back home and looking forward to this new era, with the challenge of keeping Barca among the top teams in the world," Kluivert said.
Kluivert up to the task of running La Masia
"I grew up at the Ajax academy, which is very similar to La Masia, and I think I can do a lot for the development of young Barca players.
The announcement comes just over a week after the 43-year-old was dismissed by Cameroon.
Head coach Clarence Seedorf and assistant Kluivert had their contracts terminated after failing to guide the Indomitable Lions beyond the last 16 at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Since retiring from playing in 2008, Kluivert has been involved at various Eredivisie clubs and was part of Louis van Gaal's coaching staff when Netherlands finished third at the 2014 World Cup.
He was briefly at the helm of the Curacao national team and spent a season as director of football at Paris Saint-Germain.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August