Wayne Rooney sent off for smashing opponent in the face
The DC United captain was handed a straight red for his elbow on Cristian Casseres Jr. and will now miss his side's next game against Philadelphia Union.
Since Wayne Rooney announced he was leaving DC United and the MLS at the end of the season to return to England as a player-coach with Derby County, the English striker has shown a different side to him in the United States.
Recently, Rooney has complained about the complicated travel arrangements for road games in the US league as a result of there being no charter flights for teams, as well as the work of MLS referees, whom he said need to improve. And his discontent is still very much visible.
When DC United faced the New York Red Bulls on Wednesday night, Rooney was shown a straight red card for elbowing Cristian Casseres Jr in the face during a corner kick.
The 33-year-old appeared to smash his elbow deliberately into Casseres' face when the ball is in play; leading the NYRB player to fall to the floor in agony.
The DC United captain seemed to be oblivious to his actions before the game is stopped by the referee, who, after consulting VAR, sent Rooney for an early shower.
This is Wayne Rooney's second red card in the MLS; both of which were earned this season. The DC United captain will now miss the match against Philadelphia Union on Saturday, 24 August.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Martin Luther King Jr Day: most famous quotes & speeches
- US POLITICS Biden-Harris reveal inauguration playlist: songs and where to listen
- NFL NFL conference championship finals: dates, times & previews
- NFL Playoff Final When and where is Super Bowl LV 2021? - Date, location & kick-off time
- NFL Patrick Mahomes injured: When could he return?
- UNITED STATES $1,400 third stimulus check updates today: when is it coming, What Biden said about it, eligibility, IRS tax | Live