Ansu Fati still doesn't have FIFA clearance to play for Spain
The Spanish football federation are waiting to see if they can play Ansu Fati, who got his passport recently but doesn't have FIFA clearance yet to pull on the jersey.
Ansu Fati does not have the necessary paperwork to debut with the Spain's national team. Robert Moreno and Luis de la Fuente will name their respective squads for the upcoming games in October on Friday but the paperwork has not been cleared yet for the young attacker to feature.
Spain pushed to get Fati's passport after his electric displays for Barcelona with the initial plan being to call him up to the under-17s and get him into the system. He has exceeded all expectations, however, with the under-21s now a possibility.
The sporting director of the federation, Molina, and the managers are meeting on Thursday night. The Barcelona player's papers have been rushed through but FIFA say it will take between five and seven days before they respond sources at the federation say.
Fati will be called up to the under-21 side to play against Germany on October 10 and in the qualification clash against Montenegro on the 15th. In the best case scenario, he would not play until the second hame provided everything gets sorted out and he overcomes his fitness problems.
The 16-year-old was unknown before the season started but burst onto the scene during an injury crisis at Barcelona. He has since accumulated six games with two goals and an assist.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 30 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT: How many Olympic medals does Carli Lloyd have?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Alexander-Arnold signs long-term extension with Liverpool
- OLYMPIC GAMES | TRACK AND FIELD How many olympic medals has Allyson Felix won in her career?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER USWNT 2(4)-2(2) Netherlands summary: score, goals, highlights | Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Olympic Games Zverev sorry for sinking Djokovic's Golden Slam hopes