Gallardo: Barcelona eye River boss as Valverde replacement
According to a report in Argentina, Barcelona want River Plate's Marcelo Gallardo to replace Ernesto Valverde if performances don't improve.
Barcelona are not enjoying the best of times on the pitch. Despite having a great squad at his disposal, head coach Ernesto Valverde is struggling to get the LaLiga champions playing at the level of previous years.
Gallardo the choice if no improvement under Valverde, says TNT
Perhaps because of that, a report in Argentina says the Blaugrana have set their sights on a possible replacement for Valverde: River Plate boss Marcelo Gallardo.
TNT Sports says Gallardo, who led River to victory in the 2018 Copa Libertadores, is Barcelona's first choice if performances don't improve under 'El Txingurri'.
Gallardo focused on River for now
However, Gallardo has no intention of taking the job in the immediate future, as River are currently in a crucial phase of the season, with their 2019 Copa Libertadores semi-final against arch rivals Boca Juniors still unresolved.
What's more, the 43-year-old is under contract at Los Millonarios until 2021, having recently renewed his deal at El Monumental despite having no shortage of suitors.
It therefore appears that, if Barcelona are keen on installing Gallardo in the Camp Nou hotseat, they may not find it easy to prise him away from Buenos Aires.
Recommended in English
- US NEWS School shooting in Oxford, Michigan: what are the gun laws in the state?
- CORONAVIRUS Omicorn: global tracking of new covid-19 variant
- US NEWS Is the federal government going to shut down?
- NFL Who are the most hated NFL teams?
- NBA LeBron James was put in COVID protocol, but is he vaccinated?
- NBA Suns outshine Warriors and Curry accepts responsibility