Cruz Azul score five against América for first time
Cruz Azul claimed a much-needed victory with flying colours, since they not only beat their hated rival but also handed América a historic defeat.
The Estadio Azteca opened its doors on Saturday night as Cruz Azul's home, for the Clásico Joven om an evening that saw Miguel Herrera's side endure a bizarre game, with La Máquina fans getting back the winning feeling.
Cruz Azul, with an unexpected awakening, thrashed América 5-2, the first time La Máquina have scored so many goals against their hated rivals.
Julio César Domínguez, Pablo Aguilar, Roberto Alvarado, Orbelín Pineda and Jonathan Rodríguez wrote their name in the history of the rivalry. Despite the outstanding Cruz Azul performance, this is not the top goal margin for the side of Robert Dante Siboldi.
There are three other duels that ended with a 4-0 in favor of Cruz Azul, the most recent in the Apertura 2014. Curiously, América were crowned champions of that tournament weeks later.
The other matches where that score happened were in the first leg of the 1990/91 playoffs and in week 14 of the Summer of 99.
Te recomendamos en English
- ALFREDO RELAÑO The "big five" pull off first European clean sweep
- PORTUGAL Villas-Boas: "My Porto side was practically pornographic"
- Premier League Pep Guardiola has get out of Manchester free card
- Champions League Mbappé, Felix, Fati, Vinicius... Generation Z shines in UCL
- Barcelona | Neymar case Neymar's Barcelona relationship fine despite lawsuit, says father
- EUROPA LEAGUE Lacazette and Saka sizzle as Arsenal end top of their group