Cristiano Ronaldo: Sporting CP could rename stadium after star
The Portuguese club are considering changing the name of the Estádio José Alvalade to honour their illustrious youth product.
Portuguese club Sporting CP are considering renaming their stadium after legendary youth product Cristiano Ronaldo.
Cristiano Ronaldo Arena, CR7 Arena...?
According to reports, the 50,000-capacity Estádio José Alvalade could be rechristened the Cristiano Ronaldo Arena or the CR7 Arena.
"It's an idea that we're not ruling out, and one we'd be very proud of," Sporting president Federico Varandas told the Italian media outlet Tuttosport. "Cristiano is, and always will be, one of the major symbols of the history of our club.
"We're proud to be associated with Cristiano Ronaldo and that the name of the best player in the world goes hand in hand with Sporting."
Stadium name unchanged in over 60 years
The stadium's current name, which pays tribute to the Lisbon club's founder, has gone unchanged since the ground was originally built in 1956. The arena was remodelled in 2003, ahead of the following year's European Championship in Portugal.
Glittering career at United, Real and Juve since 2003 Sporting departure
After coming through the Sporting youth system and making 31 first-team appearances, Cristiano left for Manchester United in 2003, before a nine-year spell at Real Madrid was followed by a 2018 move to Juventus.
The 34-year-old has also won 161 caps for Portugal, captaining his country to victory at the 2016 European Championship and the 2019 UEFA Nations League finals.
Te recomendamos en English
- GAMING Where to buy PS5: stock updates at Walmart, Costco, GameStop Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- US NEWS $300 unemployment benefits: are there new proposals to extend them?
- Liga MX Chivas vs Leon live online: Liga MX Playoffs Semifinal Leg 1
- US News What stimulus and executive actions does Biden plan for his first 100 days?
- PSG Neymar: What I want most is to play with Messi again
- NBA NBA 2020-21 season: Lakers-Clippers clash, Durant's Warriors reunion headline opening night