Ronaldo strikes as Juventus extend Serie A lead
Cristiano Ronaldo made it 701 career goals, helping Juve to stretch their winning run to five matches in all competitions and continue Maurizio Sarri’s unbeaten start as their coach.
Cristiano Ronaldo opened the scoring as Juventus beat visiting Bologna 2-1 on Saturday to move four points clear at the top of the Serie A table.
Ronaldo struck from close range after 19 minutes, but Danilo levelled for the visitors soon afterwards. Miralem Pjanic profited on a defensive mix-up to net Juve's winner after the break and Bologna were denied an equaliser by the crossbar and a superb Gianluigi Buffon save in stoppage time.
The result stretched Juve's winning run to five matches in all competitions and continued Maurizio Sarri’s unbeaten start as their coach. The champions are top on 22 points but second-placed Inter Milan can cut their lead to one point with victory at Sassuolo on Sunday.
Ronaldo makes it 701
Ronaldo reached the landmark of 700 career goals while on international duty with Portugal on Monday and made it 701 at the Allianz Stadium as he beat his marker and fired in at the near post. Bologna travelled to Turin with just one victory against Juve in their last 31 attempts, but they levelled through Danilo midway through the first half when the Brazilian defender smashed in a half-volley.
Pjanic restored the hosts’ lead after 54 minutes as he capitalised on chaotic defending from Bologna to pounce on a loose ball and sweep a shot into the corner. The visitors nearly equalised in the dying minutes when substitute Federico Santander's header came back off the bar before veteran goalkeeper Buffon acrobatically palmed over the striker's overhead kick.
Recommended in English
- NATURAL DISASTERS Why do tsunamis happen in the Pacific Ocean?
- ENVIRONMENT Earth's sixth mass extinction has begun according to scientists
- TENNIS Djokovic could be spared three year Australia entry ban
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $200 Social Security, tax return, Child Tax Credit, Golden State payment...
- NFL NFL Playoff Bracket: Who will play who in the Divisional Round?
- TENNIS Djokovic banned from Australia for three years, federal government confirms