Real Madrid: Zinedine Zidane matches José Mourinho record
The PSG draw was Zinedine Zidane's 178th game in charge of Real Madrid, the same number of matches that José Mourinho oversaw.
Zinedine Zidane moved up to joint fourth in the list of managers with most games under their belt at Real Madrid in the 2-2 draw with Paris Saint-Germain, level with José Mourinho on 178, and will catch Leo Beenhakker’s tally of 197 before the season is out.
Mourinho holds a better overall win record than Zidane, the Portuguese victorious in 72 percent of his matches at Real Madrid compared to 67 percent for Zidane at present. However, the Frenchman trumps the Tottenham manager in terms of trophies won, with nine adorning the Zidane family mantelpiece while Mourinho delivered three pieces of silverware during his three seasons at the Bernabéu.
Zidane stands second behind only Miguel Muñoz in that regard and the legendary Bernabéu boss, who won 14 titles during his 14-year tenure, also holds the all-time record for games managed at 604.
Del Bosque record a target for Zidane but Muñoz out of reach
Zidane would need to stick around for a fair old while to catch the man who scored Madrid’s first-ever goal in the European Cup and went on to become the first person to win the competition as a player and a coach, but he will surpass Beenhakker at home against Mallorca on 12 April and can then set his sights on Vicente del Bosque, who managed 245 Madrid games over three stints (two as a caretaker with one spell lasting three days and another just 11 games when he saw out the 1993-94 season after the departure of Benito Floro).
Te recomendamos en English
- LA Galaxy Chicharito: When I talked about retirement I meant because of my age not the MLS
- Copa del Rey 2019-20 Zaragoza vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- MASCHERANO 'Messi's unique ability can extend his future' - Mascherano
- BRUNO FERNANDES | MANCHESTER UNITED Bruno Fernandes is on his way to join Manchester United
- BARCELONA Barcelona youth product Carles Pérez makes €13m Roma switch
- Premier League Guardiola admits mistake over Man City crowd comments