De Ligt scoops Kopa Trophy for best young player
The Holland and Juventus defender has scooped the second edition of the Kopa award, which is handed to the most outstanding player under 21.
Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt won the second edition of the Kopa Trophy at the Ballon d’Or gala in Paris on Monday.
The Kopa Trophy is awarded to the most outstanding player under the age of 21, with PSG star Kylian Mbappé winning the first edition last year.
Dutch centre back De Ligt was among ten candidates for this year’s edition of the award and eventually beat out fellow favourites João Félix of Atletico Madrid and Borrussia Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho.
The Juventus player's nomination come days after Felix won Tuttosport's Golden Boy accolade.
De Ligt's credentials
De Ligt’s nomination comes on the back of an stunning campaign last season with Ajax, whom he captained to their first Champions League semi-final since 1997 at the tender age of 19.
The talented young defender was the subject of an intense bidding war in the summer, with Juventus beating early favourites Barcelona to secure his signature in July.
Following his 85-million-euro move to Serie A, the Ajax academy graduate has clocked up 15 appearances for Juventus, netting one goal.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Where was Gabby Petito's body found in Grand Teton National Park?
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Vinicius and Benzema to the rescue
- NFL 49ers vs Eagles: San Francisco win 17-11 in gruelling game
- NFL Quarterback injuries overshadow Week 2 NFL action
- REAL MADRID Ancelotti: “I am living my honeymoon in Madrid"
- PREMIER LEAGUE African trio at Anfield make Premier League history for Liverpool