Guardiola confirms "Arteta is talking with Arsenal"
Mikel Arteta has held talks with Arsenal but is travelling with Manchester City for their EFL Cup tie with Oxford United.
Pep Guardiola confirmed Mikel Arteta has held talks with Arsenal over their vacant manager's position.
Arteta is reportedly the lead candidate to replace Unai Emery at Emirates Stadium, where he played from 2011 to 2016 before taking up a position as assistant to Guardiola at Manchester City.
Arsenal chief executive Vinai Venkatesham is said to have met Arteta on Sunday and Guardiola, speaking ahead of City's EFL Cup quarter-final with Oxford United, confirmed he was aware of discussions between the two parties.
Guardiola told a pre-match media conference: "He's talking with Arsenal so I don't know what’s going to happen."
The City boss confirmed Arteta is travelling with the team to Oxford and, asked why other clubs want Arteta, he replied: "He's an incredible person. A good manager, good work ethic that’s why he's with us.
"The club is always live. People today and then maybe tomorrow not here. Now he is part of our group and staff and stays here.
"When we have any new news I will know it and you will know it. He trained today and that's all."
Arsenal were beaten 3-0 at home by Guardiola's City side on Sunday, with the Gunners having won just one of their last 12 games in all competitions. They are 10th in the table, seven points off the top four and 17 points behind Premier League leaders Liverpool.
Recommended in English
- NBA Ricky enjoying the present: "It's not a cliché, it's a lifestyle"
- NFL Chiefs record 12th successive win over Broncos
- NFL What happened with Ravens' failed two-point conversion against the Steelers in Week 13
- NFL Patrick Mahomes on what the Kansas City Chiefs need
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Casemiro in no doubt that Mbappé is compatible with Vinicius
- MANCHESTER UNITED Chris Armas: who is the US coach set to join Manchester United?