Barcelona boss Valverde not to blame for Atlético loss - Suárez
Luis Suárez defended Ernesto Valverde following Barcelona's Spanish Super Cup semi-final loss to Atletico Madrid.
Under-fire Barcelona head coach Ernesto Valverde was not to blame for the team's Spanish Super Cup collapse against Atlético Madrid, says Blaugrana striker Luis Suárez.
Barca were stunned 3-2 by Atlético in the Super Cup semi-final, conceding two late goals to sensationally lose in Saudi Arabia on Thursday.
Goals from Lionel Messi and Antoine Griezmann cancelled out Koke's 46th-minute opener until Barça shipped twice in the final nine minutes as Atlético earned a showdown with Real Madrid.
Players to blame for Atleti loss, says Barcelona's Suárez
The result plunged Valverde's future further into doubt but Suárez defended the 55-year-old.
"[Valverde] is not to blame, the mistakes were ours and we can't make them," Suárez said post-match.
"I do not know if they are defeats that help us grow, [but] this defeat shows that there are things to correct.
"It shows us that there are mistakes that cannot be committed because we were in control of the game and we have allowed them to hit us on the counter-attack."
Griezmann also bemoans Barcelona's mistakes in Super Cup defeat
Griezmann was frustrated afterwards as the Barça forward lamented the side's errors against LaLiga rivals Atlético in Jeddah.
"I think we lost due to our own errors and they had the legs at the end," Griezmann said. "It cost us and we have to work hard in order to continue.
"We all made errors. I played a bad pass and then their goal arrived. They are errors which can cost you a Champions League or a league title."
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Gonzalo Higuaín returned to the MLS Team of the Week
- LALIGA SANTANDER Coutinho reaches 100, but Barcelona won't pay Liverpool variable
- SOCCER | BARCELONA Koeman: Clasico Barcelona fans incident reflects "social issues"
- NBA | BULLS Bulls 'want to win now' after following in Michael Jordan's footsteps with 4-0 start
- MLB When was the last time the Astros and Braves won the World Series?
- WORLD SERIES Who are the MLB World Series winners by year?