RB Leipzig secure signing of Olmo from Dinamo Zagreb
Highly coveted Dinamo Zagreb midfielder Dani Olmo has been linked with a host of clubs, but RB Leipzig have won the race for his signature.
Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig have completed the signing of Dinamo Zagreb playmaker Dani Olmo on a four-and-a-half-year deal.
Leipzig – who are four points clear at the top of the Bundesliga – could end up paying in the region of €35million for Olmo, according to reports.
The 21-year-old, a product of Barcelona's famed La Masia academy, had been linked with several major clubs after impressing for Spain at last year's European Under-21 Championship and Dinamo in the Champions League.
Barcelona had been tipped to move for their former midfielder, while Premier League side Chelsea and Serie A club Milan also reportedly held an interest.
But Dinamo boss Nenad Bjelica revealed on Thursday a move to Leipzig was likely and the German club announced the completion of the deal on their official website two days later.
Olmo has scored eight goals in all competitions this season, including five in the Champions League, and earned his first senior Spain cap in November 2019.
Speaking to his new side's official website, he said: "Of course, I have noticed RB Leipzig's successful path in recent years.
"It is a young, attractive club that convinces me with its philosophy of developing talented players and placing their trust in them. I am now looking forward to getting to know the team as quickly as possible and to be on the pitch with the boys. I would like to contribute my strengths and help us to stay higher in the league and to be successful in all competitions for as long as possible."
He will train with his new team-mates for the first time on Monday and is in contention to make his debut against Borussia Monchengladbach at Red Bull Arena on February 1.
Te recomendamos en English
- EL CLÁSICO How many times has Barcelona won against Real Madrid without Messi?
- NFL Denver Broncos 14 vs Cleveland Browns 17 summary: score, highlights | NFL Week 7
- NFL Congress demands answers from the NFL about WFT investigation
- US NEWS How could Alec Baldwin have killed Halyna Hutchins with a prop firearm?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?