Barcelona: Messi in Copa squad as Setién wheels out big guns
The Barcelona boss is in no mood to take Leganés lightly after defeat at Valencia and has named a strong squad for the last 16 clash.
Barcelona were fortunate to squeeze past Ibiza in the last round of the 2019-20 Copa del Rey as the holders’ defence almost hit the rocks on the Balearic island and Camp Nou boss Quique Setién, who is already under pressure after just a few games in charge, will not repeat his rotation policy against Leganés and has included all of his star players for the visit of the Cucumber Growers, including Leo Messi, Gerard Piqué and Sergio Busquets.
All three of Barça’s captains were left behind for that game, which required Antoine Griezmann’s double to see off a very capable challenge from Ibiza, but Setién’s squad for Leganés includes all available senior players and three youth teamers: forward Ansu Fati, keeper Iñaki Peña and attacking midfielder Álex Collado.
Moussa Wagué misses out due to technical reasons while Ousmane Dembélé is not yet ready for a first-team return after a hamstring injury and Neto and Luis Suárez are injured.
Albania international striker Rey Manaj, who Barça signed from Albacete earlier this month, also misses out as he finds his feet with Barça B, but the 22-year-old may become a more regular sight in the first team sphere if the Camp Nou board fails to find a forward before the transfer window closes on 31 January.
Barcelona squad for Leganés
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: USA, Caeleb Dressel gold and WR in 4x100 medley, medal count, results, today 1 August
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and child tax credit live updates: can it be passed in August? dates, tax return, opt-out...
- NFL Zimmer "frustrated" as 3 Viking QBs sit out practice due to covid-19 protocols
- GOLD CUP 2021 Mexico's CONCACAF 2021 Gold Cup squad: key absentees
- MLB Rays beat Red Sox to move top; Mets win in Báez debut
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 1 August