Raúl Jiménez was the last player to score against center-back duo Van Dijk-Gomez
Since Klopp opted to put Virgil Van Djik and Joe Gomez as Liverpool’s starting center-backs, only Jiménez has been able to get past them and score.
Liverpool are ready to face Atlético Madrid in the first leg of the round of 16 of the UEFA Champions League this Tuesday at the Wanda Metropolitano stadium. So far this season Jurgen Klopp’s team has been breaking all manner of records in the Premier League and are on the cusp of winning the title after defeating Norwich yesterday.
Klopp had wanted to rest certain players given they were facing the bottom team in the Premier but things turned out to be tougher than expected for Liverpool and during the second half Sadio Mané came pm to save the day and give the ‘Reds’ victory.
Besides getting the three points, Liverpool also recorded yet another clean sheet thanks to their goalkeeper and their defenders. Alisson blocked key shots from Pukki, while the Van Dijk-Gomez duo helped the Brazilian goalie by controlling Norwich’s offense.
Gomez has been Virgil Van Dijk’s center-back partner this season and the pair have become a wall to opposing teams. In fact, only one player has been able to break that wall: Raúl Jiménez from Wolverhampton.
Over 900 minutes of football the one goal conceded by the pair was on 23 January, 2020 when Liverpool faced Wolverhampton. After a great cross from Adama Traore, Raúl Jiménez found space between the defenders and headed home to tie the game for the Wolves at 1-1.
Unfortunately for the home team, Roberto Firmino scored a late goal to give Liverpool the three points and another victory for the amazing season they are having. Since Gomez and Van Dijk have been playing together the Mexican striker is the only player to have scored against them.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Eriksen discharged from hospital following heart surgery
- REAL MADRID Ramos' former agent: "You don't mess around with Real Madrid..."
- OLYMPIC GAMES When do the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games start?
- US NEWS What states do not recognize Juneteenth?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Recent research indicates how the stimulus aid was spent and how it helped families
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS California unemployment benefits: is job hunting proof required to apply for aid?