Tokyo Games could be postponed due to coronavirus, says minister
The Tokyo Olympics could yet be postponed until later in the year due to coronavirus fears, Japan Olympic Minister Seiko Hashimoto has said.
The Tokyo Olympics could theoretically be postponed until later in 2020 if the spread of coronavirus worsens, Japan's Olympics minister has said.
The virus has caused several scheduling headaches for the sporting calendar, having spread to more than 60 countries.
The Games are due to take place between July 24 and August 9 and International Olympics Committee president Thomas Bach stated last week the organisation is still planning to go ahead with the event as scheduled.
When asked in parliament about the potential for a postponement, Seiko Hashimoto – Japan's Olympics minister – said "the contract calls for the Games to be held within 2020".
She added that "could be interpreted as allowing a postponement".
Coronavirus cancels sporting events worldwide
Tokyo's Olympic 2020 contract allows it to postpone the Games until the end of year, said Japan's Olympics minister, amid concern the coronavirus outbreak could disrupt the event https://t.co/cmj47u03BU pic.twitter.com/WqW2mHmP55— Reuters (@Reuters) March 3, 2020
Several sporting events have been rearranged in a bid to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus, including the World Athletics Indoor Championships that were due to take place between March 13 and 15 in Nanjing.
In football, Serie A cancelled several fixtures over the previous two weekends and all Swiss Super League and Challenge League fixtures have been suspended, while the Ireland versus Italy Six Nations match due to take place in Dublin on Saturday was called off.
The Chinese Grand Prix on April 19 was also postponed.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $3,000/$3,600 child tax credit: how long would stimulus measure last?
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla live online: Copa del Rey semi-final 2020-21
- USMNT England want to persuade Yunus Musah to leave the USMNT
- MANCHESTER UNITED De Gea, Martial doubts for Man Utd ahead of derby with Man City
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT OF 2021 $15 minimum wage: what's the state of the current negotiation and who is pushing for it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS $1,400 stimulus check: new eligibility criteria for payment to filers