Eight sent off as Gremio-Inter descends into mass brawl
The Copa Libertadores Group 5 fixture ended up with just 16 of the starting 22 players on the pitch after a fight between Moisés and Pepe sparked tension.
The Porto Alegre Copa Libertadores group stage derby ended up in turmoil after a late incident between opposing players Moisés and Pepe sparked a brawl which took over ten minutes to suppress and saw Argentine match official, Fernando Rapallini administer eight red cards with six on-field players receiving their marching orders and a substitute per team also receiving an early bath. Both sides now face stiff sanctions from CONMEBOL.
The game played with constant tension was meandering towards a goalless draw, when in the 87th minute, Internacional player Moisés and Gremio's Pepe were involved in a scuffle which the referee immediately tried to control. When it appeared that a degree of normality was about to resume, words or a provocative gesture triggered a mass brawl with players, substitutes and back room staff from both teams getting involved.
The melee lasted for ten minutes with four player per side the outcome and the contest ended 0-0 after 106 minutes of football played in front of a full house at the Arena do Gremio. Both Brazilian sides top Group 5 on four points after two rounds of games. The competition will now undergo a temporary suspension as a result of the on-growing Covid-19 concerns affecting South America.
Gremio: Caio Henrique, Pepe, Luciano and Paulo Miranda.
Inter: Víctor Cuesta, Edenílson, Bruno Praxedes and Moisés.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Men's 100m, track & field, medal count, results, today 31 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | WRESTLING What types of wrestling are at the Olympics? Differences, rules, format and score system
- GOLD CUP FINAL 2021 Gold Cup final: USA vs Mexico - times, TV and how to watch online
- SUPER LEAGUE Tebas dismisses court ruling asking UEFA to revoke action against Super League trio
- NBA Draft 2021 NBA draft 2021: which players have been selected by each team and main transfers?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo 2020: Why is LeBron James not playing at the Olympic Games?