Coronavirus updates UK: cases, deaths, real-time map - 17 April
Updates on the total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases, deaths and discharged patients, both in the United Kingdom and across the world on Friday 17 April.
Confirmed UK coronavirus cases
As of 02:00 BST (03:00 CEST) on Friday 17 April, there had been 103,093 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, with 13,729 deaths in total.
Worldwide real-time coronavirus map
Click here if the map doesn't automatically appear. (Map created and hosted by Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering, our thanks to them)
Worldwide coronavirus cases
The total number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide at the above time stood at 2,182,023 while 145,513 people have died from Covid-19 and 547,092 have recovered from the disease.
News in the UK
Britain's Treasury is expected to unveil a sweeping rescue package for start-up businesses within days, the Telegraph has reported. Ministers are rushing ahead with a bailout plan for loss-making companies whose funding pools have dried up, the report added, citing sources in the technology industry.
The aim of the package would be to keep venture capitalists investing in start-ups amid signs of dwindling support as the Covid-19 pandemic triggered a massive recession.
Live coverage of the coronavirus pandemic
You can keep up-to-date with the latest news on the Covid-19 crisis by following our daily live blog.
The complete lowdown on Covid-19
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona feel cheated by Neymar
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Negotiations taking place over moving Champions League final to the UK
- Coronavirus Why do vaccines make you feel ill?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket: where it fell, in what country and what happened to remains of the Long March 5B
- LATEST NEWS Times Square shooting: what happened and who was shot?
- LATEST NEWS Chinese rocket Long March 5B: why was it out of control and falling?