Coronavirus vaccine: 70 in development, two in Spain
The World Health Organization says 70 vaccines against the coronavirus are currently in the works, with three now being tested on humans.
The race against the clock to come up with a vaccine against the coronavirus continues across the globe, with the World Health Organization (WHO) revealing that, at present, there are 70 in development.
Three coronavirus vaccines being trialled on humans
Three of these are at a more advanced stage and have begun trials on humans. The project at Hong Kong-based CanSino Biologics Inc and the Beijing Institute of Biotechnology is the furthest along, as it is the only potential vaccine that is now in phase two out of three of the clinical development process.
The other two vaccines, which are being created by the United States companies Inovio Pharmaceuticals and Moderna, the latter in conjunction with the country's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, are both in phase one.
Two vaccines being developed in Spain
Among the 67 WHO-recognised projects that remain at the pre-clinical evaluation stage, there are two in Spain, both at its National Centre for Biotechnology.
One is being led by the scientists Isabel Sola and Luis Enjuanes, who are using a process of reverse genetics to create a replica of SARS-Cov-2, allowing them to manipulate its genome and remove the virulent aspects that cause the disease.
The other, conducted by Mariano Esteban, is attempting to create a variant on the vaccine used to eradicate smallpox.
In total, vaccine studies are underway in 20 countries worldwide:
- United Kingdom
Rest of the world
- United States (with 18 projects, it is the most active country)
12 to 18 months to complete development phases
Despite the widespread, urgent efforts being made to find a coronavirus vaccine, however, it is a process that will require patience. It is estimated that it will take between 12 and 18 months to complete each of the required phases of development, albeit many developers are working hard to reduce this timeframe.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: CDC says fully vaccinated no mask, guidelines, Ohio lottery...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is a payment coming? IRS tax return deadline, Child Tax Credit
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINATIONS Coronavirus US: is it possible to travel without restrictions after the vaccine?
- TAX DAY 2021 What time is the deadline on 17 May for tax filing 2021?
- 2021 TAX SEASON Tax Deadline 2021: how to file an extension
- US News Where to get 12-15 year old kids vaccinated in California