Real Madrid: Zidane outcast James will force move to Atletico
Colombian daily El Universal reports that James Rodríguez will push for a move to Atlético Madrid this summer after being frozen out at the Bernabéu.
James Rodríguez is to force the issue of his bit-part role at Real Madrid under Zinedine Zidane by slapping in a demand to move to city rivals Atlético this summer, according to reports in Colombia.
James was linked with a move across the capital last year when his loan at Bayern Munich came to an end but the midfielder ended up staying at the Bernabéu, where he has been an infrequent starter under the Frenchman. Now it seems that the 28-year-old is to push for a link-up with Diego Simeone at the Metropolitano in the next transfer window.
Talks between the clubs were at an advanced stage last year but Atlético's crushing 7-3 victory over Madrid in a friendly in New Jersey led Florentino Pérez to deny the Colombian his exit.
James set for Simeone link-up at Atlético
"James Rodríguez will remain in Madrid and play for Atlético," ran the headline on the front page of Colombian daily El Universal on Tuesday with the report stating that James is set to ask for a move and Madrid will accept €25m for the midfielder. Although Jorge Mendes has said his client will not be leaving Madrid, it is unlikely James will accept another season of inactivity under Zidane and prefers a move to Atlético - where he would potentially play alongside international teammate Santiago Arias - in order to remain in the Spanish capital.
Another option for James is to remain at Madrid for another season and leave in 2021 as a free agent. The Colombian has been linked with a move to David Beckham's Inter Miami while Manchester United are also monitoring his situation.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: Kroos says whoever adapts quickest will win LaLiga
- MLS MLS and Players have reached a new agreement to green light the 2020 season
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: what does ‘Need More Information' on IRS Get My Payment tool mean?
- Barcelona Barcelona: Messi could miss the return of LaLiga due to injury