Coronavirus US: Can I use my stimulus check to pay off credit card debt?
Over 155 billion dollars has already been paid out in 88 million checks and with a total of 150 million non-taxable payments expected to be made out by the end of stimulus check scheme.
The stimulus checks or Economic Impact Payments, as titled by the IRS are worth up to $1,200 for individuals or $2,400 for married couples, plus $500 for each qualifying child.
At present it's not clear if the US government will issue a second round of stimulus checks for those eligible to claim the benefit, with already over 155 billion dollars having been out in 88 million checks and with a total of 150 million non-taxable payments expected to be made out by the end of the scheme.
Credit card debt
American citizens are free to spend the stimulus check on whatever the feel appropriate but many members of the public are considering using the funds to pay off credit card arrears.
Many card issuers are working with customers to provide late payment and interest waivers, as well as extending bill due dates but debt doesn't disappear.
Should you want to use the stimulus check to address a credit card debt, establish how much you owe on each account/card and commence by paying back the credit card debt with the highest interest rate.
If you are unsure as how to tackle debt, discuss the matter with a reputable financial services adviser.
- Plans for second round of US stimulus checks
- Stimulus check: who needs to use the non-filer application?
- Time running out for some Americans to apply for stimulus payment
- What to do with a stimulus check for someone who died
- The stick-on throat patch that detects Covid-19 symptoms
- Where to claim unemployment benefits in the US: phone, online
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
Te recomendamos en English
- El Clásico Who is José María Sánchez Martínez, the referee for El Clásico 2021 Barcelona - Real Madrid?
- LALIGA Barcelona vs Real Madrid: injured and sanctioned players for El Clásico 2021
- Serie A Allegri dubs Inter title favourites ahead of Derby d'Italia
- NBA Nash cheers Nets first win: "It'll take a while, it won't be pretty"
- MLB Astros never doubted they would beat Red Sox admits Baker
- EL CLASICO Which player has scored the most goals in El Clásico history? All time top scorers