Stimulus check: can I get it in the mail today, Memorial Day?
Monday 25 May 2020 sees the United States pay its respects to those who have lost their lives while serving in the country's military.
What is Memorial Day?
Memorial Day, which this year takes place today, Monday 25 May, is an annual federal holiday observed in the United States to commemorate the men and women who have died while serving in the US armed forces.
As part of Memorial Day, which became an official federal holiday in 1971, a minute’s silence is held at 15:00 local time throughout the US.
Will there be USPS mail on Memorial Day?
Memorial Day is one of 10 postal holidays in America; you’ll find the full list here.
On US postal holidays, all Post Offices remain closed throughout the country and the United States Postal Service (USPS) does not deliver any residential or business mail, except for Priority Mail Express shipments.
No coronavirus stimulus checks through mail
For those receiving their coronavirus Economic Impact Payment by post, this means that their paper check or EIP card will not arrive on Memorial Day 2020.
Normal USPS service resumes on Tuesday 26 May.
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
Te recomendamos en English
- INTERNATIONAL WOMEN'S DAY International Women's Day: meaning, origin and why it's celebrated today
- FOOTBALL Mourinho: Bale over psychological scars of past injuries
- IWD2021 What is the International Women’s Day 2021 theme?
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 Giannis wasn't focused on perfect performance after MVP display inspires Team LeBron
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 LeBron 'in awe' of Antetokounmpo and Curry
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: who gets the payment, how much, who qualifies, IRS tax | Live