GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS
Buffalo police officers suspended over pushing elderly man
The man fell backwards and hit his head with the police panicking briefly. The footage has only gone to increase outrage over police behaviour after George Floyd's death.
Two Buffalo police offers have been suspended after footage emerged of them pushing an elderly backwards as he approached them peacefully. Protests continue around the United States in the aftermath of George Floyd's murder. The 75-year-old man fell backwards and did not move and he was hospitalised. The man is said to be in serious but stable condition.
Governer of New York State,Andrew Cuomo spoke about the event and said it was disgraceful behaviour from the cops involved. The incident only goes to raise further questions of police behaviour in the United States as tempers flare over unnecessary police violence in particular towards people of colour and minorities.
“The incident in Buffalo is wholly unjustified and utterly disgraceful,” Mr. Cuomo said. “I’ve spoken with City of Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown and we agree that the officers involved should be immediately suspended. Police officers must enforce — NOT ABUSE — the law.”
Police department says he 'tripped and fell'
The Police continue to embroil themselves in controversy with the department saying one man injured himself after he "tripped and fell" when the video clearly shows the man was pushed backwards to the ground.
The Mayor of New York, Byron Brown, said he had been working hard to find solutions and Thursday night's incident were disturbing in a statement.
"I was deeply disturbed by the video, as was Buffalo Police Commissioner Byron Lockwood. He directed an immediate investigation into the matter, and the two officers have been suspended without pay," he said. “After days of peaceful protests and several meetings between myself, police leadership and members of the community, tonight’s event is disheartening."
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Biden - Trump last debate live online: updates, fact check and reactions
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- Covid-19 Financial Crisis How will the election affect unemployment benefits in US?
- US NEWS Who is Kristen Walker, moderator for the final presidential debate? | US Election 2020
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Trump - Biden debate: why will they be muted when the other is talking?
- PRESEDENTIAL DEBATE Last debate Trump vs Biden tonight: time, TV and how to watch live online