Second stimulus check: green energy call from Democrats in next round of payments
While discussions continue towards a potential new package, some Democrats are pushing for renewable energy industries to be a clear part of it.
As millions of Americans await news on a much-needed second stimulus payment, members of the Democratic party are pushing for there to be a clear focus on renewable energy as part of the package.
Democrats call for 'green' stimulus package
The coronavirus pandemic has seen green industries such as solar and wind take a big hit, much like others across the country, with the number of jobs lost reported to be around 600,000.
There are nearly 60 Democrats behind the idea that not only should the plans look after individuals and businesses in the short term, but that provisions should be made for investments in the future, one that can also be cleaner and more efficient.
The letter by lawmakers read as follows:
‘As Congress works to help the American economy recover, we must ensure robust investments are made to spur growth in renewable energy, energy storage, energy efficiency, clean vehicles, clean and efficient infrastructure, clean fuels, and workforce development.
'These investments should both spur national growth and include funding opportunities for community-level adoption. Smart investments in these areas can help America decarbonize, put people back to work, and help our national, state, and local economies recover.’
Amid the protests that are taking place around the country following the killing in police custody of George Floyd, the HEROES Act is being discussed after the Senate returned to Capitol Hill at the start of the month. That said, there are many doubts over what can be agreed.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS Carlos Vela will not play in the MLS is Back tournament
- US NEWS Trump Rallies for the 2020 presidential elections in the United States: schedule, dates and places
- Next Generation – Rayan Cherki, Lyon's latest academy gem earning links to Real Madrid, Man Utd
- CORONAVIRUS What is the bubonic plague, its symptoms and how it spreads?
- LALIGA LaLiga countdown: remaining fixtures for Real Madrid and Barcelona
- World Football Summit “The countries with the best response to Covid-19 were led by women, football should learn from that”