Three dead after Reading knife attack
British police are reportedly investigating if the incident was terror related.
Three people have been killed and another is injured in hospital after a stabbing incident in the English town of Reading.
The attack took place at Forbury Gardens where a Black Lives Matter protest had taken place earlier on Saturday. Protest organisers have said that the attack was not linked to the demonstration.
British police arrested a man at the scene and are reportedly looking into whether the incident is terror related. UK media have reported that the suspect is an immigrant of Libyan decent.
Johnson says thoughts with those affected
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said his thoughts were with those affected by an "appalling incident".
“My thoughts are with all of those affected by the appalling incident in Reading and my thanks to the emergency services on the scene,” Johnson said in a tweet.
Eyewitness accounts of Reading attack
A witness told the Mirror newspaper that the attacker “shouted some unintelligible words” before stabbing people gathered in the park and was then “rugby-tackled” by police.
Another eye-witness, Laurence Wort, 20, told the BBC: "A man walked along the path opposite where we were walking past a group of eight to 10 men, before darting to the left and going to stab three people in the first group.
"Changing direction, he runs towards us and then when we realises he's not going to catch us, he turned back and went for another group that hadn't realised what was happening yet, and he managed to stab someone in the second group," Mr. Wort said.
Thames Valley Police have asked people not to share a video of the incident currently circulating on social media and said “there is no indication that this incident is linked to the Black Lives Matter protest that took place in Reading today.”
Te recomendamos en English
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE The new Super League is born: all the details of the announcement
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: 20 teams, two leagues of 10, knockout stages – the controversial competition's format
- FOOTBALL European Super League, live updates: reaction, participating clubs, UEFA statement... | Latest news
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Jose Mourinho sacked by Tottenham Hotspur
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS How to get Covid-19 a vaccine appointment in Florida?