Barcelona: Setién defends decision to leave Griezmann on the bench
Quique Setién left Antoine Griezmann out of his starting XI against Celta and insisted that he never looks at a player's price tag when selecting his team.
Barcelona coach Quique Setién said he had no interest in a player's market value when selecting his team after being asked why he left Antoine Griezmann on the subs' bench in Saturday's meeting with Celta Vigo. Griezmann, who set Barcelona back 120 million euros when he joined from Atlético Madrid last year, was introduced late in the game as the visitors were held to a 2-2 draw in Vigo on Saturday.
Setién defended his decision to leave Griezmann, who has scored 14 goals in 42 games this season, out of the XI. "I don't take into consideration the player's price tag," he told a news conference. "Last week we chose one specific team, and today we decided on another one. Last week you asked me why Ansu Fati wasn't playing, why Riqui Puig wasn't playing and today why Griezmann isn't playing. These are decisions I make and they are technical decisions. They're not made rashly, and they are done with the best of intentions for the team."
Aspas denies Barcelona all three points
Lionel Messi set up two goals for Luis Suárez, but Iago Aspas' 88th-minute equaliser saw Barça held.
Setién's men are a point clear of Real Madrid, who have the chance to return to the top of the table and secure a two-point lead if they can beat Espanyol in Cornellà later today.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Is the Social Security increase for 2022 the largest in US history?
- NFL The NFL proposes a solution to its problem of 'race norming' in dementia settlements
- NFL NFL 21-22: What's the NFL record for most interceptions in a season?
- NFL Who are the NFL's All-Time passing yards and Touchdown leaders?
- Fati: Inheriting Messi's number 10 shirt does not bring added pressure at Barca
- NBA NBA 20/21 season to feature 109 international players from 39 countries