Coronavirus: Ghanaian league canceled due to pandemic
Ghanaian officials resorted to league cancelation due to Covid-19 crisis.
The Ghanaian Football Association decided, on Wednesday, to cancel the 2019-2020 league season due to the complications caused by Covid-19's outbreak and the uncontrollable situation in the country and most African nations.
The governing body has released a state that came as follows: "The executive council of the Ghana Football Association has taken a decision to cancel the 2019/2020 season following a marathon meeting."
Clubs in the league had already played either 14 or 15 games out of 34 rounds, with Aduna Stars in the lead by one point when the competition was suspended last March.
Kotoko and Ashante Gold are Ghana's representatives in the african champions
The Ghanaian Association also nominated Asante Kotoko and Ashanti Gold to represent Ghana in the African club continental competitions, as Asante Kotoko is participating in the CAF champions league, while Ashante Gold represents Ghana in African Confederation (equivalent to Europa League in Europe) in the current season.
CAF competitions might not be on time
The CAF competitions for next season were set to get underway on 7 August, although there is a lot of speculation claiming they will be postponed due to the pandemic complications.
Following this decision taken at an Executive Council meeting, Ghana experiences the second straight premature cancellation of a football season.
As of Thursday 2 July, The West African nation has reached 17741 confirmed Covid-19 cases, with 13268 recoveries, and 112 deaths, with the situation worsening as the time goes by.
Te recomendamos en English
- NFL Denver Broncos at NFL Draft 2021: Which players could they pick?
- UFC Dana White wants UFC to return to Mexico
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN IRS $3,000 child tax credit: when will the monthly payments begin?
- EARTH DAY 2021 What is the Earth Day and why it's celebrated today?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Will the IRS send supplemental payments to 2020 tax filers?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: what entities are pressuring Biden to make a new payment?