Manchester City: Agüero to miss return leg against Real Madrid
Sergio Agüero underwent surgery last month to repair torn meniscus and will not recover in time to take on Real Madrid in the Champions League.
Manchester City will be without forward Sergio Agüero when they welcome Real Madrid to the Etihad next month to resolve their Champions League Last 16 tie. Agüero, who underwent surgery last month to repair torn meniscus in his left knee, will not recover in time for the return leg in Manchester on Friday 7 August. City go into the game with a 1-2 lead from the first leg back in February before football was put on hold by the coronavirus crisis.
No advantage for City, says Guardiola
Agüero's absence was confirmed this afternoon by City manager Pep Guardiola, who also gave his reaction to this afternoon's Champions League quarter final draw in Nyon. Guardiola rejected the idea that his side set out as favourites to advance, telling reporters, "We played the first leg in Madrid and we will play the return at home, it's a normal situation and it won't put us at an advantage. Ties are always decided over two legs, home and away. If we start thinking about the next round now, then the kings of the competition (Real Madrid) will kick us out".
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 2 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Simone Biles returns for gymnastic's balance beam finals: times, TV, and how to watch 2021 Olympics
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOCCER The USWNT will play against Australia for bronze
- OLYMPIC GAMES Which Olympic boxer has won the most medals?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Megan Rapinoe could retire from USWNT after Olympic campaign