Atlético's Thomas doubtful for Champions League meeting with Leipzig
The Ghanaian midfielder suffered a muscle tear in the final league game of the season against Real Sociedad and faces three weeks on the sidelines.
Bad news for Atlético Madrid. With the objective to secure third place in LaLiga completed, attentions have now turned towards next month's Champions League. The rojiblancos face Leipzig in the quarter final on 13 August with the game being played over one leg only - however, they may well be without key midfielder Thomas Partey.
Thomas injured on the last day of the league season
The Ghanaian midfielder was in the starting XI for the final league game of the season against Real Sociedad but signalled to the bench to be taken off on 55 minutes after feeling muscular pains. Tests confirmed that Thomas has suffered a micro tear and faces around three weeks on the sidelined which makes him a doubt for the Champions League quarter final.
Atlético's medical team now face a race against the clock to try and ensure Thomas recovers in time for the Leipzig game. He is the third most-used player by Simeone with 3,571 minutes of playing time this season - just behind Oblak and Saúl. The Leipzig is 23 days away which is cutting it fine. He would definitely have made a full recovery by the times of the semi-final, (providing of course that Atleti progress) - the winners of the quarter final will face either PSG or Atalanta on 18 August. If Thomas isn't back to full fitness in time, El Cholo has a number of alternative options such as playing Herrera in the holding role or pairing Koke and Saúl together seeing as Marco Llorente has settled into his new attacking position.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Caeleb Dressel 100m swimming, medal count, results, today 29 July
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it
- US NEWS Disgraced USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar has received $2,000 in stimulus checks
- LA GALAXY ‘Chicharito’ Hernández to miss his sixth consecutive MLS game due to injury
- Olympic Games | Gymnastics How tall and what age are the USA gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Jade Carey, the US gymnast replacing Simone Biles at the Olympics?