CORONAVIRUS | USA
Stimulus check: what steps has IRS taken to resolve check troubles?
The Inland Revenue Service is taking significant measures in order to help all Americans who were due an Economic Impact Payment get it correctly.
At the end of last March, the US government authorised the CARES Act, the largest economic rescue package in the history of the country, as it looked to help businesses and individuals cope with the financial pressures forced upon them by the coronavirus pandemic.
Stimulus check problems
Related popular articles:
Undoubtedly, one of the most relevant benefits included for the average American was the distribution of a stimulus check with up to $1,200 (with extras for families) for all those citizens who had a valid social security number and annual income of less than $99,000.
According to figures from the Treasury Department, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) granted around 160 million of these checks successfully, however, a large number of the population had problems receiving the payment at all or receiving less money than they were entitled to. There were even some who incorrectly got more than expected and there were a number of other issues in the hurriedly processed order.
Stimulus check: what steps has the IRS taken to resolve the issues?
In order to fix the problems they have faced, the IRS aims to hire thousands of people with the objective of ensuring that American households receive the payments they are entitled to. The House Ways and Means Committee provided an update on the operation, explains that the tax agency is targeting an additional 5,000 seasonal employees between now and January 2021, with the first tranche arriving in September.
These workers will, they say, address an influx in correspondence regarding the economic impact payments.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?