Stimulus check: when could the IRS send me more money?
As of mid-August Congress went on recess without a formal agreement on a coronavirus relief package that, among other measures, will likely include a second round of stimulus payments.
A second round of stimulus check payments for financially hamstrung US citizens badly hit by the economic effects of the coronavirus pandemic has been broadly agreed upon by Democrats and Republicans, but the failure of both parties to reach consensus on a fresh stimulus package before a deadline of 7 August has left the issue of a second round of payments up in the air.
Congress adjourned for the August recess on Monday 10th and now will not return until after Labor Day on 7 September. It means that with no deal on the table for a new Coronavirus relief package, Americans face over at least a month’s wait for a second $1,200 stimulus check.
The earliest that a deal could be struck will be after Congress returns from vacation on 8 September but even then, it's unlikely that anything will happen immediately. The House of Representatives is not due to reconvene for voting until 14 September although members will remain on stand-by to return to Washington at 24-hours’ notice in the remote scenario that a deal on new stimulus legislation is struck. For any new bill to be passed, members are required to cast their vote in person and so would have to be recalled from vacation. Looking ahead to a potential agreement and subsequent payment, the earliest beneficiaries would see money arriving in accounts would be 23 September.
Economic Impact Payment Cards are being delivered in plain envelopes from Money Network Cardholder Services. #IRS urges you to keep an eye on your mailbox: https://t.co/5xWz2NMxER #COVIDreliefIRS pic.twitter.com/AUJNk3EcXz— IRS #COVIDreliefIRS (@IRSnews) August 28, 2020
No confirmed time-frame
Both the Republican HEALS Act proposal and the Democrat-led HEROES Act make provisions for a second tranche of individual $1,200payments to be made but with a political impasse among senior officials ongoing, there is no definitive established set time- frame for another round of checks.
Live coverage of the coronavirus crisis
You can follow live, US-focused coverage of the coronavirus crisis with our dedicated live blog.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS Can I qualify for Biden's American Rescue Plan if I have already received the stimulus check?
- FOOTBALL Weston McKennie could make his return against Inter Milan
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool vs Man United: How and where to watch - times, tv, online
- US NEWS $2000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live
- Martin Luther King Day 2021 Banks opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Chase, Wells Fargo, Citibank
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR DAY Supermarkets opening hours on Martin Luther King Jr Day: Walmart, Costco, Target...