Nadal crushes Carreño on clay six months after last match in French Open marker
Rafael Nadal had not stepped on court since 29 February but made light work of the US Open semi-finalist, allowing his compatriot just two games.
Rafael Nadal showed few signs of rust as he swept aside the challenge of Pablo Carreño Busta at the Internazionali d'Italia. Playing his first match since winning the Mexican Open on February 29 before the sport was shut down, Nadal defeated his fellow Spaniard 6-1 6-1 in just 73 minutes.
It was an emphatic return to action against Carreño Busta, who took Alexander Zverev to five sets after a run to the US Open semi-finals last week.
World number two Nadal will meet either Milos Raonic or Dusan Lajovic in the last 16.
Both players survived break-point opportunities in their opening service games, before Nadal reeled off five straight games to win the opener.
Nadal in formidable mood before French Open
Carreño Busta stopped the rot with a hold to open the second set but was otherwise powerless to stop Nadal, who won every game from there.
Despite a first-serve percentage of just 49, Nadal only faced one break point in the contest as he beat Carreno Busta for the sixth straight meeting.
Nadal's win on Wednesday came after Novak Djokovic showed little sign of being affected by his US Open default in a 6-3 6-2 win over Salvatore Caruso.
The standout result of the day saw teenage home hope Jannik Sinner record a superb win over third seed Stefanos Tsitsipas, triumphing 6-1 6-7 (9-11) 6-2 for just the second top-10 win of his career.
Matteo Berrettini was another Italian to win in Rome as he beat Federico Coria in straight sets, while Marin Cilic defeated sixth seed David Goffin 6-2 6-2.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Third stimulus check: what proposals are in negotiation?
- US NEWS How many extra doses of coronavirus vaccines has Biden ordered?
- FOOTBALL UEFA commits to 12 host cities for Euro 2020
- RAYO 1-2 BARCELONA Barcelona player ratings vs Rayo Vallecano
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: Opta stat attack as Sheff United stun Man United
- UNITED STATES $1,400 third stimulus check today: when to expect, Biden relief plan and IRS payment | Live updates