Sebastián Soto chose Chile over USA Men's team
Soto is in Chile squad ahead of the 2024 World Cup qualifiers. Back in July Reinaldo Rueda called him to convince him to choose ‘La Roja’ over the USMNT.
Chile have a lack of strikers ahead of next month's World Cup qualifying matches against Uruguay at the Centenario stadium and Colombia at the Nacional Julio Martínez Prádanos stadium.
Chile coach Reinaldo Rueda decided to convince Soto to opt out from playing for the United States men’s national team because the team is low on forwards with Nicolas Castillo injured, Ángel Sagal and Junior Fernándes not in their best form with their respective teams.
Rueda called Soto directly on 10 July to make his international debut with the first team with Chile and he accepted because he was surprised by the interest shown by Chile’s manager. The young striker said that the constant talks with Rueda just made it an easy decision to join Chile instead of the USMNT.
Soto was born in California, his father is from Chile and his mother from Mexico. The 20-year-old striker won the Concacaf U20 with the United States in 2018 and the first team’s coach Gregg Belhalter wanted him to play for the USMNT ahead of the World Cup Qualifiers.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barcelona's squad redesign needs to start taking shape now
- International football Zlatan facing possible FIFA ban over links to Malta betting firm
- Manchester United Solskjaer suggests Old Trafford banners to blame for home form
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Pfizer, Moderna and J&J/Janssen: who can get each, side effects, doses
- US Policing Why were no charges brought against the police officer who shot Jacob Blake?
- VACCINE NEWS What is a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis? Blood clot symptons and causes