Rafael Nadal is the pride of Spain – Luis Enrique
After securing his 13th French Open triumph on Sunday, Rafa Nadal won glowing praise from Spain head coach Luis Enrique.
Rafael Nadal has been labelled as "the pride of our country" by Spain boss Luis Enrique following his latest French Open triumph.
Nadal made it 13 Roland Garros titles with a straight-sets victory over Novak Djokovic on Sunday, taking him level with Roger Federer on 20 grand slams.
Two defeats in 102 matches
It was his 100th match win at the event in Paris at a major he has dominated, losing only twice.
Nadal's supremacy in his 6-0 6-2 7-5 win against the world number one on Philippe Chatrier was underlined by the fact he made just 14 unforced errors to his opponent's 52.
And Luis Enrique, whose side face Ukraine in the Nations League on Tuesday, heaped praise on his 34-year-old compatriot.
"I want to congratulate him on behalf of the [Spanish Football] Federation," he said.
"I remember his way of facing failures and his respect for his opponents.
The pride of Spain
"He is the pride of our country. He offers us a lesson in life."
Nadal has now moved to 999 career wins across all tournaments, with 201 defeats, and has captured 86 titles.
In the titles reckoning he sits fourth in the Open Era (behind Jimmy Connors' 109, Roger Federer's 103 and Ivan Lendl's 94). A startling 60 of those titles from Nadal have come on clay.
Te recomendamos en English
- RYDER CUP 2021 Ryder Cup 2021 full schedule: participants, match dates, and times
- NFL Panthers at Texans: Fantasy Start ‘ems and Sit ‘ems
- REAL MADRID Mbappé: 100 days until PSG star can negotiate with Real Madrid
- Nagelsmann on Rudiger to Bayern rumours: I'll have to see if I have any money in my wallet!
- 76ers and Doc Rivers want to convince Ben Simmons to stay amid trade talk
- MLB MLB round-up: Cardinals extend streak, Rays clinch playoff berth