AFC Champions League final to be held in Qatar
The Asian Champions League final is to be held in Qatar on 19 December following an agreement between the AFC and the QFA.
The Asian Football Confederation (AFC), together with the Qatar Football Association (QFA), have confirmed that the Qatari capital Doha will be the venue for this year’s AFC Champions League single-leg final, which will be played on 19 December 2020.
Following the successful organization of the ACL competition west and the ongoing preparations to host the east regional competition next month as well, Doha has been chosen as the location of the ACL final.
The AFC found that Doha has all the requirements and hosting capabilities for this highly anticipated-encounter in addition to the Qatari Football Federation meeting all the necessary standards including the high-level medical infrastructure which was demonstrated throughout the western ACL competition.
AFC General Secretary Dato’ Windsor John, said: “The covid-19 pandemic has undoubtedly made the decision on the venue for this year’s Final more complex particularly in these uncertain times of travel and health restrictions."
“In addition to the numerous restrictions, the AFC also wanted to protect the important principle of sporting fair play. This will be, unlike previous years, a one-off final and we, therefore, needed to ensure that there was no unfair advantage to one team or the other."
Dato then lauded the Qatari organization of ACL (west) explaining that it was proof of Qatar's capability of hosting such an important event “The successful staging of the AFC Champions League (West) is testament to the capability of the QFA and the Qatar Government and we now look forward to building on the spirit of collaboration as we prepare to resume the captivating action from the East Group Stage to the final.” he added.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 29 July
- GOLD CUP Mexico vs Canada, Gold Cup semi-final: how to watch - times, TV, online
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 medal count updates: who has won more? Tally by country, today, 29 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES | GYMNASTICS Simone Biles suffers twisties: What are they? How do they affect gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | BASKETBALL Tokyo Olympics: Luka Doncic 'dominating the Games like no player in 30 years'
- OLYMPIC GAMES Golfer McIlroy praises Biles and Osaka for raising mental health awareness