Laporte puts rivalry aside to wish Van Dijk a full and speedy recovery
The Manchester City defender showed camaraderie towards the Liverpool centre-back who faces at least six months on the sidelines.
Rivalry on the pitch is one thing, but that doesn't mean there cannot be solidarity and camaraderie off it. England's football community was shocked by the injury sustained by Liverpool's Virgil van Dijk during the Merseyside derby and a player from one of the Reds' direct rivals Manchester City's Aymeric Laporte, who plays in the same position, has shown compassion for the Dutch defender.
Sorry bro. Best of luck for the quick recovery, never neither fun nor rejoicing even as rivals 💪🏼 https://t.co/p9sET2sNPd— Aymeric Laporte (@Laporte) October 18, 2020
Van Dijk out until April at least
Yesterday, it was confirmed that Van Dijk will undergo surgery to repair the damaged anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. Defending champions Liverpool will be without one of their key players for between six to eight months. Laporte, who missed 26 games for City after suffering a knee injury himself at the start of last season, has the greatest sympathy for Van Dijk.
Laporte sent Van Dijk a message via his Twitter account: "Sorry bro. Best of luck for the quick recovery, never neither fun nor rejoicing even as rivals".
Van Dijk's injury leaves the Premier League champions with just two fit central defenders - Joe Gomez and Joel Matip although Fabinho has dropped back as a makeshift defender whenever Klopp's team have suffered similar, major injury setbacks.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: Caeleb Dressel 100m swimming, medal count, results, today 29 July
- Stimulus Checks $1000 stimulus check for educators: how to claim it if I haven't received it
- US NEWS Disgraced USA Gymnastics doctor, Larry Nassar has received $2,000 in stimulus checks
- LA GALAXY ‘Chicharito’ Hernández to miss his sixth consecutive MLS game due to injury
- Olympic Games | Gymnastics How tall and what age are the USA gymnasts?
- OLYMPIC GAMES Who is Jade Carey, the US gymnast replacing Simone Biles at the Olympics?