Messi: "I'm a little tired of always being the problem for the club"
Lionel Messi's latest comments will once again put the spotlight on his relationship with Barcelona just when it seemed he was back in a good place.
Lionel Messi landed back in Barcelona unexpectedly hot under the collar after having put in a great performance for Argentina against Peru on Tuesday.
“I feel good," were the words of the Barcelona captain after the 2-0 win in Lima; which came just twenty four hours before the frustrated comments he made surrounded by a cloud of cameras and autograph hunters at Barcelona airport.
"The truth is that I'm a little tired of always being the problem for everything at the club,” said Messi – his candid comments taking the gathered reporters by surprise.
As with everything, it is difficult to interpret Messi and to know if his statements were directed towards a reporter who had asked him about Antoine Griezmann’s former agent Eric Olhats, who recently accused the Argentina captain for presiding over a "rein of terror at Barça" – or if his comments had to do with something that happened when the player landed.
The Messi-Barcelona relationship
“It’s crazy," Messi was captured saying before getting into a taxi outside the airport arrivals doors. Sources close to the Argentine striker say that he had been held at the airport for more than half an hour for customs checks, which could have been the trigger for his statements – a rare occurrence for a player who hardly ever speaks on his return from travel.
Messi’s comments will no doubt ruffle some feathers and once again put a spotlight on his relationship with the club after the player seemed to be in a good place following the victory against Betis and the international break.
Te recomendamos en English
- TRAVEL Which countries are in the ‘Level 4: Do not travel' category?
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check and Child Tax Credit live updates: can it be passed in August? Dates, tax return, opt-out...
- CORONAVIRUS What has Dr Fauci said about the covid-19 Delta variant and lockdowns?
- NFL Nick Foles plays down Colts trade talk: "I'm a Chicago Bear now"
- OLYMPICS GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021: summary, results and medal count - 03 August
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Recap: Biles takes bronze, Thompson-Herah makes history