Los Angeles FC seeking history against Tigres UANL
Los Angeles Football Club are aiming to become the first Major League Soccer side to win the CONCACAF Champions League at the expense of Tigres UANL.
Since their debut in Major League Soccer in 2018 Los Angeles FC have risen to become one of the better teams in the league, winning the 2019 Supporters’ Shield after an impressive season. Even though they have failed to reach the MLS Cup final in their first three seasons in MLS, they have managed the unthinkable in their debut in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League.
LAFC aiming to make history
The ‘Black & Gold’ defeated three Mexican powerhouses in the Concachampions to reach the final at the Exploria stadium against another Mexican giant, Tigres UANL. LAFC are aiming to become the first MLS team to win the Concachampions and here are some key points that favor the US side against one of the most powerful teams on the American continent.
The 2019 Most Valuable Player had been unstoppable in the tournament with five goals in four appearances to lead LAFC to the final. Vela suffered a knee injury earlier in the year that sidelined him for several months, but he has now regained full fitness. The Mexico international led a 10-men LAFC and scored a brace to eliminate Club América in the semifinals.
Vela is not the only player capable of scoring goals: Los Angeles FC also have Diego Rossi, who had an impressive 2020 season in Major League Soccer. The Uruguayan striker won the Golden Boot after scoring 14 goals in 19 appearances. As well as Rossi and Vela, LAFC also have Brian Rodríguez and Danny Musovski as attacking options.
One of the weak points for Los Angeles FC in this tournament has been the defense. The MLS side have conceded four goals in four games and Tigres UANL have one of the best strikers on the American continent, André-Pierre Gignac. The Frenchman has scored five goals in three appearances and LAFC’s defense has to improve if they want to have a shot at winning the title.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- Unemployment Benefits Why are recipients seeing unemployment benefits cut?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: how many people are still waiting for it?
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin trial: can he appeal the sentence?
- SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: interview Florentino Pérez, ten clubs withdraw, reactions, UEFA, clubs
- EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE European Super League: Manchester Utd fans break into training ground in anti-Glazer protest