Bank opening hours on Christmas Eve and Day 2020: Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs
Christmas is upon us and in the mad dash to finish your holiday to-do list you may have forgot to get to the bank. Find out what banks will be open
Christmas always seems to sneak up on a person, perhaps due to the season starting earlier each year. In the rush to get those last-minute gifts and bake the last batch of cookies you may have forgot to get some cash or pay a bill. Bank branches usually are open on Christmas Eve but are closed on Christmas Day.
Christmas is one of 13 bank holidays in the US when the Federal Reserve is closed so interbank transactions are not processed. This year Christmas Day falls on Friday, so Christmas Eve is a normal business day, but the 26th is a Saturday.
When will banks be open?
Many businesses including banks close on Christmas Day. However, on Christmas Eve and the day after, a Saturday, your bank branch should be open but will have shorter hours.
Call your local bank branch to see what their hours will be on these days and whether you need an appointment, due to the pandemic some branches have limited hours and capacity inside to building.
If you must do any transactions on Christmas Eve or Day you can use an ATM or online banking service. However, be aware that the Federal Reserve will be closed Christmas Day, so any money transfers done between banks online will not be processed until the following business day.
What to do in an emergency
If you need to make a transfer to someone in a hurry on Christmas Day you can look into using a peer-to-peer or mobile payment system like Venmo but research which one you are going to use first since not all send money instantly. The best option is to check with your bank to see if they have a service already integrated into their online app.
You can also try calling your local bank to see if they are open or have someone watching the ship, but don’t be surprised if no one picks up the phone.
Things may look a bit different this holiday season, but our sense of love and community hasn’t changed. Wishing you health and happiness as this year comes to a close. #HappyHolidays🕯 pic.twitter.com/EwGKK00k71— Bank of America (@BankofAmerica) December 23, 2020
Bank opening hours Christmas Eve
Here is a list of opening hours on Christmas Eve for some banks. Always call first to confirm.
- Bank of America: Most branches open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Capital One: Branches open 9 a.m to 2 p.m.
- Chase: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- U.S. Bank: Branches open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but hours vary widely
- Wells Fargo: Branches open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Recommended in English
- MLB Why is the MLB close to a lockout? What are the key issues?
- NFL Where does the Dallas Cowboys - New York Giants team rivalry comes from?
- NFL Who has the biggest NFL rivalry?
- US NEWS What services are likely to stop during a government shutdown?
- SUPREME COURT ABORTION CASES Supreme Court on Roe v Wade live updates: arguments, Abortion Law, Mississippi...
- NFL Who are the 10 best Dallas Cowboy players of all time?