House approves $2,000 coronavirus stimulus checks
The Democratic-led U.S. House of Representatives voted 275-134 to meet President Trump's demand for $2,000 relief checks on Monday, sending the measure on to an uncertain future in the Republican-controlled Senate.
The Democratic-led US House of Representatives voted 275-134 to meet President Donald Trump's demand for $2,000 covid-19 relief checks on Monday, sending the measure on to an uncertain future in the Republican-controlled Senate.
BREAKING: US House passes bill that would increase Covid stimulus payments from $600 to $2,000 by 275-134 vote, needing two-thirds majority to pass.— NBC News (@NBCNews) December 28, 2020
Measure now moves to US Senate.
Story: https://t.co/uQud1JWRP0 pic.twitter.com/PEcZg3xPRk
Trump last week threatened to block massive pandemic aid and spending package if Congress did not boost stimulus payments from $600 to $2,000 and cut other spending. He backed down from his demands on Sunday as a possible government shutdown brought on by the fight with lawmakers loomed.
But Democratic lawmakers have long wanted $2,000 relief checks and used the rare point of agreement with Trump to advance the proposal - or at least put Republicans on record against it - in the vote on Monday.
The Senate is expected to reconvene on Tuesday after the Christmas break.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: can I get it if I also received the third stimulus check?
- US NEWS Lyrids meteor shower 2021: dates, times and how to see in the US
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Is it possible to use the money from the stimulus check to pay the rent or the mortgage?
- CORONAVIRUS US Coronavirus US: is a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine necessary?
- US NEWS How to get Covid-19 a vaccine appointment in Florida?